
The critique was a little more intense than I thought it would be. Now I know what it will be like in the future and I can prepare a little more thoroughly. I was unsure of what feelings my drawing would provoke, being first probably had something to do with that.
My drawing ended up being a kind of clash of nature and nature that has been mutilated by humans in the form of twisted metal. The metal grate in my photo ended up looking more like a wood framed window. Its like the "has to be perfect", measured part of my industrial major has "taken over" or overshadowed the flowing nature inspired side of my art roots in drawing. (I hope that made sense) The leaves are my start of this semester in drawing. They are drying to come through the geometric shapes and make something more organic and less perfect and over-bearing.

I like it more on it's side like that.
ReplyDeleteIt's my experience that organic shapes do not work well with technical objects, they tend to compete too much for attention. Granted, occasionally the artist can make the two work harmoniously. In your case, the window frame commands most of the viewers attention, which forces the grasses to a beta position... this creates depth in the drawing, which could be re-enforced with more drastic changes in grayscale.
Thank you for your helpful comment. I agree that the organic and industrial shapes are fighting for attention, and that was actually the subject for the drawing. I felt like this would best explain where my head is at right now. My industrial design major (which commands my attention and I devote most of my time to) is over-shadowing my more free flowing and organic drawing ideas. They are fighting and it will be interesting to see where this drawing subject goes, don't you think? Which side will dominate in the end...
ReplyDelete